Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How to Sync Outook 2007 Calendar Meeting Requests with Google Calendar?

Using Google Calendar Sync, Google Calendar can be synchronized with Outlook 2003 and 2007 Calendar (see the compatibility issues).

Generally, it works fine but annoyingly Outlook's 2007 Meeting Request entries can not be transfered to the Google Calendar... (It is important for me because I would like to look at my calendar entries on my Android based HTC on the move.)

I searched for a solution on the Internet, but I only found solutions that didn't work in my situation. But finally, I used the old greek 'try-and-error' principle and found a working solution to this problem in WinXP SP3 + Office 2007 context:
  1. Download and install Google Calendar Sync
  2. In the configuration screen (where you can set your Google account and the Sync option - later it can be also run from the Taskbar using the Google Calendar Sync icon) you should set your original Google email address (that was created first when you created your Google account, something@gmail.com)
  3. In the Calendars tab in the Google Calendar Settings you should add your email address that is used in MS Outlook 2007 using the Shared: Edit settings link.
... and it works fine and I am happy because now I know where and when I should arrive...


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Connecting to an unnamed wifi with HTC Hero and HTC Desire

I tried to connect to an unnamed wifi network with a HTC Hero and a HTC Desire and they couldn't find the network despite of the fact that I entered all the necessary connection information. Then I revealed the name of the network and the connections were established. After I covered again the name of the network they could still establish connection. So, the solution is to reveal the name of the wifi network for the first connection after that you can hide it again to restore the original state of the network. It works both on Android 1.5 and 2.1 OS.

Friday, July 9, 2010

A problem and a solution using elsarticle.cls



I tried to resubmit one of my revised article to the Elsevier's Editorial Team and the following error occurred which hindered me to resubmit it:

---------------------------
Package pdftex.def Error: pdfmode expected, but DVI mode detected!
(pdftex.def) If you are using 'latex', then call pdflatex'.
(pdftex.def) Otherwise check and correct the driver option. Error
recovery mode by switching to PDF mode.
See the pdftex.def package documentation for explanation.
---------------------------

This error was really annoying, since the deadline was very close...

Fortunately, after some hours inspection, I found that the cause of the error was that the 'pdftex' module was changed in the editorial system. The new version of 'pdftex' now tries to detect if the pdf mode is set correctly in the document. (I didn't bother about it before as everything was fine.)

In other to help 'pdftex' in the decision (it believed that I wanted to use DVI mode but I didn't) I put the '\pdfoutput=1' line just before the document class definition:

---------------------------
\pdfoutput=1
\documentclass[pdftex,preprint,number,12pt]{elsarticle}
---------------------------

So now, everything goes fine as previously.